DID YOU KNOW THAT RESEARCH SHOWS READING ALOUD BUILDS VOCABULARY?
Fun, low cost and low prep activities for celebrating:
- Try to read aloud 15 minutes per day. Maybe once in class – and once at
home! Use reading and home library building as family involvement
opportunities! Read stories – read favorites again, find new favorites, try
new styles and new authors! Explore the Cleveland Schools Book Fund
- Try a trip to the library! If not the public library then make a library time to
pick books from your classroom collection! Make a display … or have
students “make” the library by displaying favorites. Allowing children to
select their own book encourages reading.
- Try student-centered book recommendations – book commercials, book
speed dating, my favorite story telling etc. as a way to entice readers to
explore. Don’t forget to write book reports and collect books to take home.
- Build a word wall of cool words from books . . . any words whether lesson
aligned or not. Find fun, new or interesting words.
- Create a class reading challenge – or challenge another class.
- Click here to use the Cleveland Schools Book Fund videos on our website to supplement
and extend your read-aloud moments.